Sunday, October 18, 2009

Packing -- Less or More.

In the 19C when people traveled they'd bring along trunks packed with about a gazillion clothes and toiletries.

I suppose it wasn't as easy then to pop out of your hotel and buy whatever you forgot from the same stores (with identical piles of tops and bottoms) that you'd shopped back home. And I know that Taiwan has malls and stalls and racks and stacks of anything I could want.

So this time instead of dredging my closet and drawers for every last sock and undergarment I've never never worn but might be indispensible, I decide to pack light.

To this end, I buy a small, red satchel on wheels and start packing early.

6 weeks early. My goal is to vet each item. Try on. Refold. Shake out. Pair with pants, same purse, shoes. Refine. Jettison.


At an Eddie Bauer Outlet I buy two pair of khaki pants "made for the traveler" with lots of zippers to hold oddities and Kleenex. I love them. I figure I can pair them with short and long tees in brown, tans, and yellow. I'm off to a good start.

Next I buy miniatures of Tide, Oxi-Clean, toothpaste, and hand sanitizer, as well as every other trial size pack sold in America today, including off brands. I read not all public restrooms have toilet tissue. I buy that too.

I need aspirin, acid reducer, and other bodily correctives. If I could find smelling salts I'd pick that up. Figuring the hotel will have shampoo and conditioner, I resist. For anything else, I've decided I will visit a Chinese herbalist.

Rust goes with khaki. Orange goes with khaki. Should I pack those shirts?

Purple goes with khaki. Pink does too. Which jacket? Purple, pink? Jean?? Raincoat?

If I take the purple jacket, maybe I should pick up the fuchsia blouse I saw on sale. As a matter of fact, the fuchsia would also look nice with the pink jacket.

The pink has a little turquoise in it, also gray. I have a long-sleeve gray tee. And a turquoise knit top. Hah! And a turquoise skirt!

Hat. Sunscreen. Sunglasses.






2 comments:

  1. I can't figure out why my other comments are appearing with the posts ahead of them. But then I just don't get blogs very well (but check out http://askthesmartass.com).

    Have you discovered Baggallini? They are the BEST for traveling. Travel as light as you can. Almost no one will know if you're wearing the same outfit you wore the day before. For the wedding, you can wear a pair of black lounge pants, a black t-shirt and a fuschia or turquoise pashmina (they take up almost no room in a suitcase. A jazzy necklace and a bracelet will dress it up, plus you look classy no matter what you're wearing. I don't know what the weather will be in Taiwan the end of November, but if it's warm, you could get away with a nice pair of black flip-flops. I would hate to take up valuable packing space with a pair of shoes that will only be worn once on the trip. Check NormThompson.com and Travelsmith.com for clothes that can be tied in knots and still won't wrinkle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worried!!! There're many 24hours convenient stores all arounfd Taipei!! Also many department stores!! Or you could buy a cheaper one in night market^^

    ReplyDelete